March 26th, 2014

Warsaw – Sweet SIRENKO Vistula

Capital of the Republic of Poland from 1596. Population of over 2 million people. Located in the heart of the country – in the center Mazowiecka lowlands on either side of the Vistula River, at the crossroads of religions, between East and West. City museum under the open sky, according to the architects, one of the ten most beautiful cities in the world. Repeatedly subjected to cruel destruction of Warsaw compared with resurgent forever in the fire bird Phoenix.
After a terrible fire in 1939, after two failed and sunk in the blood of the Warsaw Uprising in 1943 and 1944., Hitler ordered the final destruction of the city.


In the sky flew magnate palaces and residences, churches and monuments. On the paving stones, remembering received many Polish kings, fell off a pile of bricks and dust fires dolizyvali unique works of art … When January 17, 1945 in the course of the Vistula-Oder operation, together with the Soviet troops liberated Warsaw Polish Army, was only around the ruins. It seemed that no magic is able to revive "half a million cubic meters of debris," only in the Old City. And millions of 307,000 residents of the capital in six years of occupation there are only 160,000. The rest … Cemetery "Palmyra." Neither entrance arch, nor solemn alleys or marble or granite. Only stretching to the horizon straight rows of identical, almost without names, cement crosses over heathery ground. Is this to be a major city in the country? And when the Polish government issued a decree not to transfer capital in Krakow and Warsaw to leave this role, many decision seemed controversial. Many, but not romantic of Warsaw.

City and before World War II has repeatedly been destroyed and reborn again, it is no accident Warsaw compared to Phoenix. And people performed a miracle worthy of this bird: they built anew, and restored the historic city such as it was in the past. For greater reliability in the reconstruction of the architects and builders used the old plans, drawings, photographs, verbal descriptions of the capital and all the surviving buildings elements: fragments of window casings, doors, pieces of cornices, masonry samples. For Architecture Old Town – Stare Miasto, New Town – Nowe Miasto, Wilanw, Lazienki and many other monuments of steel after "resurrection" is more like the original than their prewar predecessors.

So between East and West again beating heart of the country – Warsaw, the city museum in the open air, which, according to the architects, one of the ten most beautiful cities in the world. And this is not just a historical scenery, the story itself is …
Like many old cities of Europe, Warsaw was established in a convenient location – on a ferry across the Vistula, where the same main roads converge. It was the center of the Polish lands. At the crossing on the left bank long before the thirteenth century there was a village (ancient finds archaeologists date the seventh millennium BC), and on the way it was a fortified settlement Yazdov (remember him – the current Ujazdowski Mall). All land in the district belonged to the princes Mazowiecki. In 1262 the settlement was completely destroyed by Lithuanians, and new fortifications built on the rock provislyanskoy straight over the crossing. So in the XIII century. appeared Warsaw.

On the origin of the name of the city, there are many legends. One of them says that the village belonged to a certain knight VARO Mazowiecki. Another says that his name future capital received almost as Rome in the fishing family gave birth to twins, who were called Vare and Sava. Can not be dismissed and the version that perhaps the city owes its base VARO Czech family (or Varshovtsev). At first they settled in the tract, which gave the name of Prague (so to this day is called the right-bank part of the city), and then later on the high left bank laid the settlement.
In Stock historians have fun and do good tradition of one fisherman's wife, whose name was Sheba. They say she is so well prepared that ferrymen, failing to stop at the bank in unison shouted "Vari Sava!" – That sounds like a distance Warsaw.

No less interesting is the story appears on the arms of the city's famous SIRENKO – mermaid with sword raised defiantly. While Warsaw has not yet been a port city, but only stood at the crossing of the Vistula river where they lived beauty. Beauty, they say, it was indescribable, and every man dreamed of at least one eye to see this miracle. SIRENKO charmed and Prince – builder of Warsaw, so much so that he did not want to part with it. So in the emblem "settled" mermaid.

Selecting a location for the city was extremely successful, and it grew rapidly. In the first half XIV. under the old defensive walls rose walls, cut every 50 m high